Monday 18 January 2021
This week’s Logistics Bulletin reports on preliminary results for 2020 at Deutsche Post DHL. The Company increased consolidated revenue by 5.0% and achieved a record EBIT performance, with strong results in each business unit, except Supply Chain. Post & Parcel Germany saw full year revenue up 7.0% with EBIT climbing 29.0%; Express’ full year revenue increased 12.0% with EBIT up 35.0%; Global Forwarding, Freight saw full year revenue increase 5.0% as EBIT jumped 13.0%; Supply Chain’s full year revenue was down 7.0% with EBIT down by 53.0%; and eCommerce Solutions increased revenue by 19.0% with a significant turnaround in profitability from losses in 2019.
Elsewhere this week, Alibaba Group’s logistics arm, Cainiao Network, has launched a container-booking service for air and sea freight, connecting 200 ports in 50 countries. The Company’s new cross-border, port-to-port shipping fee will be 30.0% to 40.0% lower than the average market rate, with booking confirmation available in as few as two business days after an order is placed by the merchant. The announcement comes at a time when the global container shortage problem has increased shipping costs, putting more pressure on import and export businesses. According to United Nations trade data, around 60.0% of goods are shipped by container via 180.0 million containers worldwide.
Corporate and market news...
- Deutsche Post DHL reports record annual EBIT
- Matson reports 139.1% growth in Q4 China trade volumes
- Peak season deliveries climb 37.4% at Yodel
- Rhenus acquires LOXX logistics group
- Hellmann acquires remaining stake in Hellmann East Europe
- Phoenix Logistics acquires Sam Dunn Express and Sam Dunn Enterprises
- DB Schenker aligns with DPD and stops shipments over Brexit challenges
- Yusen Logistics launches operations in Chile
- Cainiao launches container-booking service
- Bolloré Logistics launches same-day arrival air service between China and Europe
- Smart Solution Logistics to collaborate with Allalouf Logistics
- CEVA Logistics launches Jinhua – Dourges train solution
- GEODIS expands and renames its specialist Project Logistics business
- FM Logistic awarded Pepperfry contract for omnichannel logistics services in India
- XPO Logistics to provide logistics and transport of DnaNudge portable COVID-19 test kits
- Pro:Direct Sport extends contract with Unipart Logistics
- Maersk extends relationship with The Ocean Cleanup
- Mars partners with DHL to drive environmental supply chain benefits
Warehouse and distribution centre developments...
- Volkswagen establishes regional parts distribution centre in Malaysia
- Lidl expands in Moerdijk
- DSV builds integrated logistics centre in Stockholm
- FedEx Batu Kawan Station offers customers greater connectivity in Malaysia
- Kerry Logistics Network opens chemical logistics centre in Cangzhou China
- Amazon expands investment in metro Detroit
IT, fleet and environmental developments...
- GEODIS City Delivery enables even faster urban deliveries
- Kuehne + Nagel and Air France KLM Cargo launch first zero emission air freight route
- DHL Express invests to meet continuous growth in cross border time-sensitive shipments
- FedEx Express will be the first customer of GM’s new, integrated solution
- Lineage Logistics partners with Turvo to launch Lineage Link
- C.H. Robinson and SAS unlock new era of dynamic business planning in Retail and CPG
- Metapack to lead shipping services for HelloFresh
- Pets At Home renews its partnership with Microlise
- Kenco launches material handling equipment telematics solution
- ADC acquires eCommerce fulfilment provider, ShopperKit
- sennder raises funds to accelerate digitalisation of European trucking and drive expansion
- XPO Logistics surpasses 300,000 App downloads for digital transportation platform
Personnel and HR developments...
- Former Amazon executives join Freightera
- ABF Freight President Tim Thorne to retire later this year
- B&H Worldwide appoints Head of Global Sales
- CFO set to leave Hellmann Worldwide Logistics
- XPO Logistics announces senior leadership for Logistics segment spin-off
The Logistics Bulletin has provided global supply chain professionals with the latest insight, news and analysis for 18 years. To receive this highly valued service direct to your in-box, register here. Press releases and articles for inclusion can be sent by email to email@example.com